Are you tired of telling your children to turn off lights, fans and computers on leaving a room? Living in a country like Pakistan with regular power cuts multiple times everyday, we need to save electricity, all the time!
One day this invention my reach our coasts too! I found it really interesting to share it with you all.
Father creates ‘energy egg’ which turns electrical items off when rooms are empty
A despairing dad who created an energy ‘egg’ to curb his family’s extravagant electricity use has cracked America with his eco-friendly invention. Brian O’Reilly, 37, was at his wit’s end with his three children leaving TVs and computers on, wasting energy and making him shell out his hard earned money on electricity bills. So Brian went to his workshop and hatched an idea for the ‘Energy EGG’, which uses clever technology to sense when a room is empty and turn off unused electrical devices.
The Energy EGG is based on technology similar to that in household alarm systems which use motion sensors to detect whether someone is in the room. The sleek-looking device is linked wirelessly to a control adaptor – similar to a multi-way plug – into which multiple electrical goods are connected. It then senses when a room is unoccupied and kills the power to those items.
‘It has a master ‘off’ switch so if you have one at the side of the bed, it can send out a signal turning everything off.’
- Place the EGG® in the room you want it to control.
- Plug all the devices into a power strip that plugs into the smart plug. The EGG® can even control multiple plugs!
- Select a time that you want he EGG® to wait until it turns off the control plugs choose from 5 to 30 minutes.
- The EGG® will constantly monitor the room to see if it is occupied. Once it senses that the room is empty it will start counting down to turn off all plugs connected to it.
- One minute before shutdown, the EGG® will start beeping. If after one minute it still does not sense anyone in the room, it turns everything off.
- When someone returns, they simply press the Power button on the top of the EGG® to turn everything back on.
The inventor is also in the process of launching the ‘Smart Phone Charger’ and the ‘Smart Light Switch’, which automatically turns off lights when a room is empty but unlike other systems, which only come on in the dark, is not confused by sunlight.
Brian said: ‘I am really happy we are having success but the Energy EGG is just the beginning. ‘One day I hope we can have smart houses where everything works in a similar way to the egg. ‘It’s early days yet in the USA, we have only just finalised the deal with distributors after 18 months of exchanging emails. ‘For me it’s just great to know we’re not wasting energy needlessly. My mum and dad’s generation grew up switching stuff off and I think that’s starting to come back now people are more aware of the need to save energy.’